Saturday, February 7, 2009

Harvey Bear Ranch - 07 Feb 2009

This morning, I was supposed to do some volunteer work for the County Parks and then maybe do a short hike in Coyote Lake - Harvey Bear Ranch County Park.
Because of a misunderstanding, I could not find the group and decided to spend the morning hiking. I never heard of this park before so I thought it would be a great opportunity to just explore it.

It was great. Quite muddy because of yesterday's rain though. Not only the mud sticks to the boots and makes each foot weights much more than usual, but it makes the trails very slippery.

The park was still green (it will dry up quickly) and I saw a few nice wild flowers. It's only the beginning of the season. Full bloom is expecting in a few weeks.
I saw many dears, turkeys, ospreys, and even one coyote that didn't seem to notice me until he was about 50 feet from me. He then ran before I had a chance to snap a picture.

I chose an ambitious route for this hike, trying to take the longest side trails. It allowed me to enjoy the various terrains and expositions. The hike ended up being 12.7 miles long, with about 2200 feet of elevation gain.

I will be sore tomorrow...

My pictures are here.

Interactive track log:

No comments: